GWSSB is a statutory body set up by the State Government for Development, Regulation and Control of the Drinking water sector in the State. The jurisdiction of the GWSSB (Board) extends to the whole state. The Board largely works for putting in place rural water supply system as well as operational management of Rural Regional water supply schemes covering cluster of villages. In this area the main function of the Board is to prepare, execute, promote and finance the schemes for supply of water for drinking purposes. The Rural water supply systems include Installation of hand pumps, mini water supply system, etc. in small habitations and piped water supply system for individual villages including large water supply system covering several villages.
Duties and Functions of the GWSSB
The duties and functions of the Board as identified by the GWSSB Act No.18 of 1979 are identified as under:
- To prepare, execute, promote and finance the schemes for supply of water and for sewerage and sewage disposal.
- To render all necessary services in regard to water supply and sewerage to the State Government and local bodies and on request to private institutions or individuals also.
- To prepare draft State Plans for water supply, sewerage and drainage on the directions of the State Government.
- To review and advise on the tariff, taxes fees, and charges of water supply and sewerage systems, in the areas comprised within the sphere of operation of the water supply and sewerage services of the Board and in the areas of the local bodies which have entered into an agreement with the Board.
- To assess the requirements of materials and arrange for their procurement and utilization.
- To establish State standards for water supply and sewerage services.
- To review annually the technical financial, economic and other aspects of water supply and sewerage system of every scheme of the Board or the local bodies which have entered into an agreement with the Board.
- To establish and maintain a facility to review and apprise the technical, financial, economic and other pertinent aspects of every water supply and sewerage scheme in the State.
- To operate, run and maintain any water works and sewerage system, if and when directed by the State Government, on such terms and conditions and for such period as may be specified by the State Government.
- To assess the requirements for man-power and training in relation to water supply and sewerage services in the State.
- To carry out applied research for efficient discharge of the duties and functions of the Board.
- To perform such of the duties and functions, which are being performed by the Gujarat Public Health Engineering Service, as may be specified, from time to time, by the State Government.
- To perform and discharge such other duties and functions as are allot to the Board under other provisions of this Act or as may be entrusted to it by the State Government.
GWSSB Board Established Letter Download